Hiya, gang! I’ve been meaning to do this post for-ev-er, since Annika Perry over at her writing blog nominated me for a Liebster Award–um, wow, last year. *bows head in shame* I think the universe is trying to tell me something, because Mae Clair over at her site also nominated me.
Okay, okay, I’m listening. 😀 Thank you both for the nominations–sorry it took me so long, Annika.
Annika is across the pond, and has a wonderful site where she shares not only writing tidbits, but pictures of her travels. She just shared her walk-through of the Beth Chatto Gardens. Beautiful!
Mae also has a great site where she shares advice, writing news, and some of the research for her books (Mothman, anyone?) She’s also one of the authors over at Story Empire, where the authors post articles all about writing; lately they’ve had some great information about promotional stuff like media kits and newsletters.
For the Liebster Award, the rules are:
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 blogs.
- Notify those blogs of the nomination.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
Since both Annika and Mae nominated me, it’s only fair I answer questions from them both. So, onward!
Questions from Annika Perry:
Why did you start your blog?
Honestly, I started my blog because that’s one of the pieces of a writer’s platform. It took me a few months to really settle into it. Now I’m thinking of ways to refine it into more of an author’s website.
How do you deal with a setback at work/rejection letter etc?
I remind myself persistence is the key. I also remind myself that writing is subjective, just like any other art form. What one (or many) agents don’t like, there will be one that will love it. The trick is sticking with it long enough to find that one.
How do you celebrate a success?
Happy dance! Whoop it up! And have some really good chocolate and wine.
What’s the one crazy activity/thing you wish you’d tried but never dared?
Hang gliding. I’ve always wanted to feel what it’s like to soar like birds do. Maybe some day!
Which of your posts has got the most views? Can you post a link to it
My post on rough drafts got the most views (besides my boring About page).
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would that be?
Hmm. There’s a lot of places I’d like to go: Ireland and the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Scandinavia, Vancouver, I could go on 😀 I’d love to go back to Salzburg for the chocolate and Bavaria for the Alps!
What advice would you give your younger self?
I’d tell myself to write more, and take more writing classes sooner. And invest in Microsoft and Apple. I remember all the stock splits in the 80s and 90s; I’d be sitting pretty good by now!
What is one of your most embarrassing moment?
My best friend and I were taking a turn as DJs at a high school dance, announcing the songs as we played them (this was back before CDs and MP3s), and I mispronounced INXS (in-excess, not I-N-X-S). Over a loud speaker. I was promptly corrected by everyone on the dance floor.
What’s your favourite drink? (Alcoholic or non-alcoholic) Craft beer, especially from New Glarus Brewery in Wisconsin. Moon Man and Spotted Cow.
If you could travel into the past, which era would you go to and why?
I think it’d be interesting to go back to talk to Leonardo da Vinci. Not that those days in Europe were all that spectacular, but he’d be a cool person to talk to.
What is your most favourite (clean) joke?
You’re assuming I can remember any jokes I’ve been told! Oh, wait, here’s one: What did one cannibal say to the other cannibal after they ate a clown? Did that taste funny to you? (See what I mean? I can’t remember the good ones 😀 )
Questions from Mae Clair:
You’ve been given a working time machine. What era of history would you visit?
See my answer to Annika’s almost very same question 😉
What is your totem animal? (Inspired by a post I recently saw on Jan Sikes’ blog).
I like to think my totem animal would be a cougar: solitary, mysterious, and hangs out in the woods. Observes quietly. And it’s a cat. I’m a cat person 🙂
What was the first story you wrote?
Hmm. The first one I really remember writing was for an English class. We had to write a story where you wake up one morning and look in the mirror. What do you see? I was deep into Anne McCaffery’s Pern books (and my English teacher liked her as well), so even though the assignment was for a 2-3 page story, I wrote what would now be considered a “fanfic”: I woke up as a Pernese dragon. Ten pages later, my teacher told me it was enough, I could stop.
Beach or mountains?
Oh boy. I have to choose? Tropical tourist-free, sugar-sand beach. Or log cabin in the heavily-wooded mountains near a lake. (can you tell I’ve thought about these for a while? 😀 )
What is your favorite time of year?
Fall, because of the wonderful colors. Spring because winter is over and everything is turning green again.
Name someone from history you find intriguing.
Leonardo da Vinci. Nikola Tesla. Ben Franklin.
What is your favorite fairy tale?
The Bremen Town Musicians.
When was the last time you played a game of chess?
Back when the kids were younger. I think my son was in 5th or 6th grade. He’ll be a sophomore in college this fall.
If you could travel to any city or country in the world, where would you go?
See my answer for Annika’s almost-identical question 🙂
Name your favorite cartoon when you were a kid.
Loony Tunes–Bugs Bunny and the gang. I still remember the Barber of Seville routine with Bugs and Elmer Fudd. And I loved the Road Runner. And Taz. Gotta like Taz. And Marvin the Martian. And Foghorn Leghorn. And…
What mythical creature do you wish actually existed?
Dragons. The nice ones, though, not the ones that scorch everything. Nice ones like the Pernese dragons (or firelizards!). Or Toothless.
Whew! I’m done with the questions. Now for eleven random facts about me:
- I love Calvin and Hobbes. Every winter I think about recreating one of his snowman projects.
- I’m a cat person. I like dogs, but I’d much rather have a cat curl in my lap than a dog. I secretly want a Maine Coon, because they’re big, and having a bobcat or cougar for a pet is not the right thing to do with a wild animal. But it’d be soooo cool to have a pet cougar! (too big for a lap cat, though)
- My favorite flowers are lilacs and irises.
- No one will ever call me graceful. Ever. I’m clumsy.
- I haven’t worn dresses or skirts since I had kids, except once. My sister made me a bridesmaid in her wedding so I’d have to wear a dress.
- When I go for walks, I like to be able to identify plants along the way, especially flowers and weeds. I’ll take pictures of flowers, then look them up.
- I have a day job, but I’m also a substitute librarian for our town library.
- Favorite ice cream: mint chocolate chip
- Favorite TV show: Supernatural. It’s the one show nobody better interrupt while I’m watching, which is why we Tivo it. And Dean.
- Least favorite color for rooms: yellow (including orange). Every house hubs and I have ever had came with a yellow kitchen. Ugh!
- Caffeine- and alcohol-free cheer-me-up (besides Calvin and Hobbes): Jeff Dunham’s Spark of Insanity. The opening bit, before he pulls out the puppets. And Walter. And Peanut.
Okay, 11 questions for nominees (and I’m taking some from Mae’s and Annika’s nominators):
- Do you have a pet? If so, what is it?
- Favorite TV show?
- What is one of your pet peeves?
- Do you have a favorite author? Who and which of their books is your favorite?
- Do you read books only once, or more than once?
- If you won the lottery, what is the very first thing you would spend money on?
- What was the best advice a writing mentor or teacher ever gave you?
- Did you play any sports in high school? If so, which ones?
- You’re going to a deserted island for a month. What three things will you take?
- If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
- What is the most recent movie you’ve seen?
Okay, now for nominees. I’ll just toss out a few:
Betsy Kerekes at parentingisfunny
Diane at ladieswholunchreviews
Michelle Cook at puttingmyfeetinthedirt
Jacqui Murray at worddreams
Marquessa Matthews at simplymarquessa
There are so many great writer blogs out there, it’s just too hard to make a short list. Get out there. Explore!
Next week I’ll be back to my regularly-scheduled program. Have a great weekend!